Culture. Issues. Ideas. Oklahoma HUMANITIES magazine fosters conversation and new perspectives through articles, interviews, and beautiful color images. From public policy issues to cultural heritage, you'll find informed commentary and the best of humanities scholarship in our award-winning publication. Oklahoma HUMANITIES -- because you want more than a good read, you want an experience.
- Statewide circulation of 11,500 + substantial pass-along rate via public libraries, schools, and universities
- Issued biannually: Winter (Mar.) and Fall (Sept.)
Requested Submission Styles
- Educational content by humanities professionals showing a range of views on specific topics
- Interviews with authors, scholars, dignitaries, and others working in the humanities
- Personal essays
- Submissions should be emailed as an attachment, preferably in Microsoft Word
- All submissions are subject to editing for length, clarity, etc.
- Article length requested is 2000-2250 words
- Material must be original [unless the editor has specifically requested published excerpts]
- Occasionally we have room to print longer pieces, so feel free to submit material a bit longer in length, with the caveat that we will edit to fit the space constraints of that particular issue. We will offer you a “last look” at the edit before publication, but the turnaround for your feedback will be no more than 2-3 days.
- Tone: The tone of articles should be informative and conversational. We’re not looking for academic journal-style works [NOTE: Don't use footnotes or endnotes;
limited references may be included within your text].
- Balance: We strive for educational content that is factual, balanced, and avoids advocacy of a particular social or political view.
Images and Photography
- We request high resolution images [at least 300 dpi] to accompany text if available. If you don’t have images but know of sources, please communicate that to us immediately so we can pursue permission to use them.
- Oklahoma HUMANITIES takes no responsibility for unsolicited or original copies of manuscripts, artwork, or photography. Always retain originals of your work.
- Rights: Oklahoma HUMANITIES acquires first time rights. After publication, rights revert to the author and reprints are permissible with appropriate acknowledgment to Oklahoma HUMANITIES. *Note: Each magazine issue is posted on our website as part of our free, public programming.
- Compensation: Inclusion is honorary; compensation consists of 5 copies of the issue in which your work appears.
We may need to contact you. Include your name, phone number, and email address on your submission.
To download a copy of these guidelines, click here.
Carla Walker - Editor, Oklahoma HUMANITIES
Oklahoma Humanities Council
424 Colcord Drive, Ste. E
Oklahoma City, OK 73102